We test documents, forms and terminology
We use our unique blend of linguistics knowledge, research expertise and skills in plain writing and information design to help organisations to test business, regulatory, compliance and technical documents and forms. It can also be used to test terminology.
Think of this as usability testing for written communications.
Use this service when you
- Have a document or form that you know is complex, and want to learn how to make it usable by customers.
- Have a new document or form and need evidence about how it compares with a previous version
- Are writing something technical for a customer or user for the first time.
- Need to find a new term that describes your product or service
In Financial Services, the term ‘consumer testing’ means testing wording and written documents with members of the intended target market to determine whether the target market understands them and knows how and when to use them.
Our research reveals
- What the audience for the document or form understands and misunderstands
- How to rewrite it.
Be aware that people who test documents will often react emotionally. Consumer testing needs careful controls and procedures to ensure that testers are answering the questions we have asked, not a question they wish we had asked!
Writing to empower or persuade
Good writing is not just about clarity. Writers want readers to pay attention to and engage with the material. This is how to do that:
- Design for the eye
- Make people curious
- Write about them not you
- Start with something easy
- Use signs to show new information
Susan Bell Research is an expert in this form of testing. Contact Sue to learn more.
Tags: Disclosure, Document Design, Plain language, Consumer testing, Compliance, Customer feedback, Usability testing for written communications