Usability testing for complex or technical material
One of the most difficult tasks for anyone in a large organisation is knowing how to communicate complex or technical material to the general public. We see this all the time and empathise. When you are writing about legal processes, you must use precise language. We get that. The problem is that members of the general public may not understand it, so in the end you have not achieved your aim.
This happens for two reasons:
- Sometimes that precise language uses terminology that is specific to your department or agency, and
- Many of our clients over-estimate the ability of their customers to understand.
We have pioneered plain language testing using our specialist linguistic expertise.
- You will learn about your customers - what they know and what they don't know about your product or service.
- We teach you about the frame of expectations that your customer use to make sense of the words you use.
- We identify the words and terms that people do not understand
- We recommend defining or replacing those works and terms. We give very specific advice about this.
- We show you how the order to write the information in, for maximum clarity
- We work closely with you and with your plain language trainers and consultants
Our Making Sense service has been used by many of the largest financial services organisations in Australia. We have helped these organisations create and rewrite their letters, statements, disclosure documents and forms so that people understand them.